Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Freedom of Speech

I recently had the pleasure of enjoying the company of a barking moonbat liberal. My friend Keith recently got married and most of his friends came from out of town to attend the wedding. One of them, I don't wish to embarrass by naming, so I'll just call him Bob. Anyway, Bob brought his new girlfriend from Wisconsin to the wedding. After the wedding, several of the other guests and I met over at the home of a fellow I call Canadian-Dan(he hates the nick-name but I think it sounds cool). We were hanging out, watching a cheesey action movie, and drinking some beer. Bob's girlfriend began to regale us on all the ins and outs of working in a wisconsin sex shop. She told us story after story, each one rife with depravity and filth. I would include an anecdote, but you really don't want me to. Trust me. After listening to this for a while, the entire group fell kind of silent. Apparently, she felt this was the appropriate time to test the waters for a possible political conversation. "Man, we should start a war against Washington." Normally, that would be my cue to pounce, but I decided to humor her by taking her statement seriously, for Bob's sake. "If we did that," I reasoned, "China would probably see it as their opportunity to invade the west coast and liberate us from capitalism." To which she replied, "At least then, we'd probably have freedom of speech." Her comment struck me dumb. I was speechless. Canadian Dan snorted and said, "Those people don't have any freedom at all." She fell silent, with a sour look on her face as though she'd bitten into an onion. I'm sure she must have thought to herself that this was just another bunch of evil fascist neocons, attempting to obfuscate. Perhaps somebody should tell her about how China has blocked their citizens' access to blogger.com and all blogger weblogs with their national firewall. Or how China is now forcing all of it's nations' webmasters and bloggers to register with the government, so they can be held accountable for "subversion." That's freedom in the communist worker's paradise.

5 comments:

Chauncy Biggins said...

I asked Keith about it. He said he didn't think you'd want to go. Don't ask me. I figured he could at least invite you. I was a little insulted that he didn't ask me to be in the wedding. On a side note, I'm romantically involved with one of your ex-girlfriends.

Chauncy Biggins said...

Whatchoo talkin' about?

Chauncy Biggins said...

BP? What kind of childish stupid bullshit is that?

Chauncy Biggins said...

It was pretty funny back then. I just considered it a tad insensitive in light of the fact that she reads this weblog. But I doubt she would be too sensitive about some silly shit from highschool. And besides, we all have our moments of silliness. Like when you used to wear those giant-ass pants. Or how I used to like to dress like a homeless person.
I should hardly consider it a scandal, unless you consider it some type of ethical violation.

Chauncy Biggins said...

Oh yeah, and then there was the nose peircing that made you look like a farm animal. But all that nonsense is behind us now.