Friday, September 02, 2005

Media Vultures

I've been periodically checking the news on television for the past few days. What do I see on every network? The same footage of the same malcontents getting interviewed by the same reporters. Over and over again. A man standing there, holding a baby saying, "No food, no water, no help!" People chanting, "Send help, send help, send help!" I'm left with a few questions and a few conclusions. First of all, the media are a bunch of opportunistic vultures. It's obvious what they're trying to do. They don't give a damn about these people. They just see an opportunity to use this against the president, by suggesting the fed "dropped the ball." Well, what the hell did the state of Louisiana do about it? Should the federal government be expected to do everything? They know they live in a bowl surrounded by water. Why didn't they start working on this problem years ago? Now is not the time for the blame game. Now is the time for action. Which is why other states are now mobilizing their national guard units to assist. Here in Muncie, our National Guard unit is preparing to go down and assist. I know that there are several other units from all over the country heading down. Our local Red Cross has already reported two Louisiana families that have checked in for assistance. All the way up here in Muncie, Indiana! I know it must be the same in other parts of the country! And that's not the only help we're sending. We've got twelve Delaware County sheriff's deputies on their way already, along with volunteers from our local red cross and Indiana Michigan power employees to assist with getting the power back on.
The people who are still there, mostly because the state officials didn't evacuate them all as they should have, should be patient, and do what they can for now until help gets to them! In this modern fast food culture, everybody wants it now, now, NOW!! Well, I sympathize with those people, and I understand what they're going through is horrendous. I'd be screaming bloody murder if I had to go through that as well. I'd be pretty salty. But my perspective would be biased by my emotional involvement. The drowning man thinks the rescue came late, no matter how soon it was. My point is, we're doing what we can. And I understand that people are upset. But the media is using this as political ammunition. They're doing everything they can to say this is Bush's fault. And I wonder, since I've been seeing the same footage, of the same complaining people, for the last two days, if those same people they keep showing have already been evacuated. Or perhaps they were some of the same folks that were looting, and are now angry that they don't have anywhere to stash their new microwaves and televisions. Perhaps I'm being too cynical. But one thing is certain. Those damned news reporters aren't helping anything. All they're doing is trying to profit off of people's misery! All these reporters they've sent down. What are they really doing to help? They've got helicopters. They've got satellites. They could be doing something besides sticking cameras in people's faces! Why don't they start moving people out with their helicopters and news vans? Why don't they help bring food and water? Would that violate their journalistic ethics and neutrality?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your blog is quite interesting. I have a website on a topic that is very similar to yours. You can always visit my raw foodism related website in your free time. I have just over 100 free articles related to antioxidants, raw food diets, raw foodism, detoxification and body cleansing.

Chauncy Biggins said...

God, this is the second one today! I hate these fucking guys! What the hell does my site have in common with raw foodism! It's fucking absurd! Aaargh!! I'll moida those wascals!

Chauncy Biggins said...

God damn it!! Again? Now this takes the fucking cake. Now this guy's patronizing me like this is a milblog! Well I ain't no soldier, unless you count a soldier of the Empire. No offense to military bloggers, but I would never try to pass myself off as one. Too much respect for them. But this fucking coffee ad pisses me off. I don't know how these things work, but it pisses me off when I check my email for comments and this shit comes up! You never visited my site or read my posts, jerk-wad! If you did, your comment would be in context! Fuck you!!!

Danbo Jones said...

Two things to say about the actual post. First is hurricane Ivan last year in September. The people in Louisiana had they're warning. Second, when it comes to the media, I seem to remember when they did this in Somolia too. They were on the beach before our troops were. They had their trailers set up with nice food and showers while people probably not over a hundred feet away were dying of infection and starving. Fuck these guys. I hate Geraldo.

Danbo Jones said...

oh, and those other two comments are stupid. Screw whoever left them. God will seperate 'em in the end.

Chauncy Biggins said...

God already did separate them "in the end." Gave 'em a split right down the middle. He he he.